Facades in High Rise Buildings Workshop will take place on 27th June 2017, at Aalto University, School of Arts, Design and Architecture, Hall A1, Otakaari 1, Espoo.
This special workshop is open to all architects, designers and other professionals who aspire to be surrounded by the latest presentations on what makes world-class high rise buildings a success.
The day-long program will feature seven renowned speakers who come with years of international experience and fresh learnings for what works with the coming of high rise buildings. How do you know what makes a good façade? What should the specifications and quality be to ensure the best outcome? Answers to these and many other questions will be presented and discussed interactively during the workshop.
This is a unique chance to learn from everyone else’s mistakes!
Bullet Point Summary & Workshop Timetable
08:45 Opening words – Kimmo Lintula, Aalto University & Jorma Vitkala, GPD Chairman
09:00 Leon Jacob, Jacob & Associates Pty Ltd, Australia
- • Introduction to high rise facade design
- • Historic overview – Development of curtain wall and façade systems
- • Development of curtain wall
- • Façade systems
- • Double skin facades
- • Cold bending
09:30 Keith Boswell, SOM, San Francisco USA
- • High Rise design considerations – Building Typology, Useable floor area and support “core” floor areas by typology
- • Structural considerations, Vertical circulation (elevators), Life safety systems, Building services (mechanical/electrical/plumbing/etc.)
- • Energy efficiency & Public spaces
10:00 Peter Smithson, BG & E Facades Australia
- • Loading – External and internal Loading – wind, air and water penetration
- • Energy efficiency – Natural daylight vs solar heat gain.
- • Fire resistance and acoustics
- • Performance criteria – air infiltration, acoustics, daylight, energy criteria
10:30 Coffee break
11:00 Leon Jacob, Jacob & Associates Pty Ltd, Australia
- • Processing of glass for various applications and performance criteria
- • Smart design fundamentals – Switchable glass, Photochromic glass, Cold bending
11:30 Peter Smithson & Oliver Ng, , BG & E Facades Australia
- • Energy efficiency – Natural daylight vs solar heat gain
- • Fire resistance and acoustics
- • Performance criteria – air infiltration, acoustics, Structural and water permeation.
12:00 Keith Boswell, SOM, San Francisco USA
- • Delivery Methods
- • Impact of wind pressure on Operable windows
- • Sequencing
12:30 Lunch break
13:00 James Carpenter, James Carpenter Design Associates Inc USA
- • Façade Design: Integrating Light into the Public Realm
- • Commercial and other examples of façades that merge structure, performance and materiality to articulate the presence of nature within the urban experience
13:30 Lisa Follman, SOM, San Francisco USA
- • 111 South Main—structural glass façade with demanding performance requirements
14:00 Coffee break
14:30 Thomas Henriksen, Mott McDonald UK
- • ASpinningfields Manchester, Ian Simpson Architecture
- • Mærsk Tower, Copenhagen, CFMoller
15:00 Final discussions chaired by Dr. Leon Jacob in association with all the other presenters
Dr. Leon Jacob from Jacob & Associates Pty Ltd – AustraliaOrganisers
Mr. Peter Smithson and Mr. Oliver Ng from BG & E Facades – Australia
Mr. Keith Boswell and Ms. Lisa Follman from SOM – San Francisco USA
Mr. James Carpenter from James Carpenter Design Associates Inc – USA
Dr. Thomas Henriksen from Mott McDonald – UK.